OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box - Wiki¶
A ready-made map and geodata server including a highly configurable converter which synchronizes OpenStreetMap data (pure Java open source).Quick links:
- Interactive Map: >> http://geometa.hsr.ch/map 'Switzerland delivered by OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box' << (Map Compare, WMS, WFS, GWC/WMTS)
- For feature requests and feedback see >> Discussion <<
- Performance Improvment
- What is tested
OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box (short OSM-in-a-Box or osminabox) is a dedicated server software which imports semi-structured OpenStreetMap (OSM) data and stores it as geographic features (entities). In addition, it keeps its base data in sync with the original OSM hosts. It is scalable, offers well-known geographic web services and is based on proven software components. As of now this is a read-only database (see Discussion). Updates need to be fed through the usual OSM software and hosts.
Often it’s important to have an own map server either because one needs reliable and fast webservices or because one wants to have individual map graphics (e.g. no buildings) and regionalized contents (e.g. local names). OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box (OSM-in-a-Box) delivers a software bundle which does this 'out-of-the-box' with an easy installer. Using OSM-in-a-box users get their map mashups with personalized styling which includes nice loooking background topographic maps which is something which you don't get with Google Maps & Co. Its written in Java and based on PostgreSQL/PostGIS and !GeoServer.The OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box software consists of following parts:
- A converter (Java) called 'osm2gis' which imports OSM data and stores the relevant part of it in the database (PostgreSQL/PostGIS) in a geospatial, relational database schema.
- A spatial information server with geographic web services (!GeoServer), like WMS, Tiling/Caching and WFS (read-only).
- A web site to demonstrate the project (see showcase below).
- osmosis - a robust software directly related to the OSM project. Can do bbox and some filtering; close to OSM database schema.
- osm2pgsql - the software (Java Open Source, too) mostly used by Mapnik renderer. Does 'heavy' filtering; is close to OSM database schema.
- OSM2PostGIS - Java Open Source (too); a rather young project (from Finland? Schema conversion?)
Current and Past Activities¶Team leader: Prof. Stefan Keller, Institue for Software, Computer Science Department, HSR Hochschule Rapperswil (Switzerland)
- Migration to new server; maintenance... -- SK, 15. Oct. 2010
- Talk at GIScience Group Uni Heidelberg, December 2010 by S. Keller.
- Talk about "OpenStreetMap-in-a-box - A Ready-Made Highly Configurable Map Server" at FOSS4G 2010 Barcelona, Sep. 6th-9th by S. Keller.
- Vortrag "PostGIS/PostgreSQL für interaktive Karten" am FrOSCamp 2010 , ETH Zürich, 17.-18. September 2010 von S. Keller.
- "OpenStreetMapInABox Version 1.0 - freie Karten-Webservices" (Version Server 1.0, Mobile 0.2) - Bachelor Thesis of Andreas Meier and Joram Zimmermann, Autumn 2010 => Bachelor Thesis' Vision
- Project 2 (Version Server_0.3) - Semester Thesis of Andreas Meier and Joram Zimmermann, Fall 2009
- Project Teil B (Version Mobile_0.1)" - Diploma Thesis of Marco Busarello, Fall 2009 => Diploma Thesis' Vision => OpenIssues
- Project 1 (Version Server_0.2) - Bachelor Thesis from Roland Hof, Michael Huber and Fabio Renggli, Spring 2009 => Bachelor Thesis' Vision ( emails)
- Discussion about OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box.
- Hardware/Deployment: Virtual Server Info (Build Server)
- Documentation Version 1: see 'Download'
- Documentation Version 2: see source:Dokumentation/09_Installation_Usermanual
- Browse the source source:/Code/
- Check out the code with GIT GIT-Repository
- Download/Releases (Windows/Linux):
The software is released under the "New BSD License" (also known as "Modified BSD License" or "3-clause BSD license").
- GISpunkt HSR-Wiki
- Used Technologies:
- Demo Videos: